These are the handiest gadgets we didn’t even know we needed, but now can’t live without!
We hope you’ll love these gadgets as much as we do! FYI – we may receive a share of the sale from your purchase. Prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. This rainfall shower head is easy to install, and turns any bathroom into a 5-star spa in minutes! Turn your low water pressure into a powerful rain-shower.
Promising Review: “Best shower I ever had so amazing I installed it I immediately took a shower this shower head is awesome???” – Peggy
2. This foldable potato masher solves all your mashing and storing needs. Unlike other potato mashers, this one folds and lays flat in your drawer, saving you a ton of space!
Promising Review: “The folding design is genius. It fits into a drawer without blocking the opening of said drawer. It locks in place so it does not collapse when in use.” – Lauren
3. This cutting board that folds on the sides, giving you the easiest pour, mess-free.
Promising Review: “Love this cutting board. So convenient to chop veggies and easily drop them into soup.” – Rex
4. This spill-stopping lid that keeps your pots from boiling over. Say goodbye to spillovers on the stove.
Promising Review: “I should have gotten these years ago! No more pasta water on the cook top.” – Duffy
5. This baby bottle drying rack has a special compartment for pacifiers and bottle tops, and will also save a ton of space on your countertop.
Promising Review: “This looks so nice and saves so much space on the kitchen counter! We had a different drying rack for years, and this one is so much better!” – Laura
6. This 3-in-1 travel razor so you never miss a shave! Never worry about overpacking again, ’cause with this gadget you can lose the shaving cream – the gel is already inside.
Promising Review: “I like the packaging! It is small enough to fit in any type of bag as well. Super easy to use and is worth every penny! A must have whenever you miss a spot in your leg.” (customer image included) – Genesis
7. This genius dog selfie stick as seen on Shark Tank, so you never have to cry for your dogs attention again. Your dog won’t be camera shy, and you’ll get your perfect shots. It’s a win-win.
Promising Review: “This is the greatest thing. My dogs always looked away when I would take a pic, I have had this 3 days and I have so many pictures of them!!” – Tap
8. This magnetic cable organizer, because we know how frustrating it is to rummage through the giant web of chargers on your floor.
Promising Review: “This is a big help in organizing my cords. Very easy to install. Simple to use” – rickthefrog
9. This magnetic key rack so you never have to hunt for your keys again. Say goodbye to your dusty, old key rack and hello to this modern one.
Promising Review: “This is a terrific solution to an admittedly 1st-world problem – where are my keys? Simple, unobtrusive, and works brilliantly.” – Mr. Clemente
10. A little crock-pot goes a long way. Warm your food on the go and have the best lunch waiting for you whenever you want it! Everyone at work will be jealous.
Promising Review: “This is the best for winter lunches. Everyone in the office lunchroom is jealous when they see my perfectly warmed food ready for my lunch!” – Katie
11. Not only is this reverse umbrella really cute, but it’s also windproof, so your umbrella will never betray you and flip inside out again. What more could you need?
Promising Review: “Live in Florida…. it rains… this works well and doesn’t flip inside out over a gust of wind! awesome” – Patricia
12. This headphone jack adapter lets you charge your phone and listen to music, too – something we learned to never take for granted.
Promising Review: “I couldn’t be happier with this adapter. The charging function works as it should and the audio is spot on.” – Ryan
13. These super-comfy headband headphones are everyone’s new favorite accessory. No flailing wires, no worrying about an AirPod falling out, and it keeps you warm all winter long. Wear them on the go or even to sleep.
Promising Review: “I love these headphones for sleeping. The material is soft and cool and easily fits over my eyes to also function as a sleep mask. The speaker part is very comfortable under my ears as a side sleeper.” – Stacy
14. This small activity tracker has it all. Sure, it counts your steps, calories, and more. But it also detects and analyzes your sleep, giving you the best possible sleep quality. And – it’s super affordable!
Promising Review: “The app has the option to turn on the syncing of email, messaging (texting) and Facebook, as well as other applications. I opted to turn it on for email and texting. This feature is not turned on by default but, easy to enable” – Abigail
15. This ultrasonic aromatherapy diffuser and humidifier is an at-home spa treatment that doubles as modern art. Instantly upgrade your home decor and keep your place smelling fresh 24/7.
Promising Review: “I love this diffuser for my essential oils. I love the changing light colors and the mist lasts for hours!! Great purchase” – Kori
16. This cookie shot glass mold that makes the perfect quick-and-easy party treat for any occasion. It looks great, and tastes even better.
Promising Review: “Bought this for an extra in my Xmas Cookie Tins. Worked perfectly – I found a recipe online that was specifically designed for these molds. Easy to get a hang of and great results with the right recipe.” – Liz
17. Everyone needs a wine aerator spout handy for those days you just don’t feel like splurging on an expensive bottle of wine. This spout gives an easy pour and also oxygenates it the perfect amount.
Promising Review: “This is awesome. Easy to use, works wonderfully and I am so impressed by how much better my wine tastes after being aerated.” – NorthDallasDiva
18. This couch coaster is what we’ve all been missing, and didn’t even know. Attach this cupholder to your couch and take comfort to a whole new level!
Promising Review: “I bought the first one and it’s great. Holds mugs or regular drink cups with removable insert. Perfect for couches with high sides. Works so well, just bought a second one!” – Sharon
19. This god-sent lid organizer is here to answer all your storage needs. No matter how many times you reorganize your lids, somehow they always end up a mess. Not anymore!
Promising Review: “This thing is a cabinet game changer!! My Tupperware has never been so organized! Definitely recommend!!” – Jessica
20. Keep your phone safe with this waterproof tech pouch. Now you can document all your trips without worrying about getting a drop of water inside!
Promising Review: “Literally one of the best purchases ever. Used it at a water park and my phone stayed completely dry! I was able to navigate on my screen regularly and the images and videos came out crystal clear! The audio from videos was also very clear.” – Amazon Customer
21. This dishwasher basket keeps all your lightweight dishes locked into place. If you have little kids, you know how badly you need this for baby bottles and little plastic dishes that move around in the wash.
Promising Review: “Makes it so easy to throw everything into and run the dishwasher. Exactly what a working momma needs” – Nick and Ty
22. Lid lifters are useful tools for everyone to have in their kitchen. They can be used to prevent boil-overs, hold up your cooking spoon, or even hold your phone. But more importantly, they look good doing it.
Promising Review: “These are awesome little guys! They can be used for way more than pot kids too. My kids had fun trying them out with different kitchen items (spoons, pans, chopsticks,…). Great multitaskers!” – Mom
23. This Butter Bell crock takes cooking to a new level. You haven’t seen how fun and easy it can be until you’ve used one of these chic ceramic dishes! Butter will never be hard to spread again.
Promising Review: “I’d never heard of this product before and my family LOVES softened butter. This is a perfect product for keeping it fresh on the kitchen counter and gives our kitchens a French flair!” – Maureen
24. A slim storage cart is the answer to all your prayers. It makes the most out of tiny spaces, especially when you need the extra storage space. Seriously a life saver, and you can put it anywhere!
Promising Review: “I am thrilled with this cart. It fits exactly as I needed it to. It holds even more than I expected.” – Patricia
25. This color-changing smart light bulb is just what we need when every moment of shut-eye is precious. This bulb turns on gradually, optimizing your sleep, and also works with Alexa so you never have to fumble in the dark.
Promising Review: “These are fantastic bulbs! Turn on or off from anywhere. Amazingly deep colors!” – Mark
26. This thermal laminator is just the addition you need in your life. Keep your important papers safe and your children’s artwork on display.
Promising Review: “I love this laminator!!!!! It is small and lightweight which makes it super portable (I take it to my work and use it quite a bit) I’ve had a lot of different laminators and this by far is the best one” – hollyannmarie23
27. This magic stone grill scrub is the cleaning product you’ve been missing. Everyone loves hosting a BBQ, but no one likes the clean-up. Now, you can scrub off all the grease and dirt off effortlessly.
Promising Review: “My husband grills a ton in the summer, and he uses this stone at least once every few weeks to clean off the grill. Works like a charm with very little effort!” – Amazon Customer
28. This dish squeegee just changed your life. Never get your hands dirty with leftovers again – just scrape the remnants away before you start washing. You can also use it to clean your counter!
Promising Review: “This is great for cleaning the bottom of the sink and scraping dishes. Love that I can pop it in the dishwasher to clean it. Highly recommend. Saves me paper towels!” – Amazon Customer
29. This bottle-emptying kit will save every drop of mayo, shampoo, or any other liquid you have. Tired of wasting the last few drops? This is perfect for you.
Promising Review: “This is a great product. I used to try every method to get the last shampoo etc. from the bottle. With the Flip-its there is no hard work. They work great, I would recommend these 100 percent.” – A. Fisher
30. This cake pan lets you bake a cake in any shape you want. Surprise your family and friends with a custom cake and make their day more special than ever.
Promising Review: “Made this beautiful cake using this! And it was soooo easy to use, clean and stored tight back into box! Cant wait to make my next cake!” (customer image included) – Amazon Customer
31. This sink caddy hangs and molds perfectly to your sink. No more suction-cup caddies that always fall off! It drains and dries your sponges, and looks good doing it.
Promising Review: “Love this sponge holder! Didn’t realize that it is moldable so I was able to position it exactly the way I wanted. And it holds both of my sponges. A great little gadget!” – Laurie
32. This little desktop vacuum goes a long way. It keeps your working space – and any space – dust and crumb free!
Promising Review: “I got this mini vacuum cleaner so that I can keep my office desk neat and tidy, even with some plants on it. And it works! It’s little (about the size of the palm of my hand), but picks up dust and small chunks of dirt without issue. Plus, it’s cute- that always helps.” – Melissa
33. This frozen herb keeper is perfect for the times you accidentally buy too many herbs at the grocery store. Keep them fresh and save them for next time with this life-changing gadget!
Promising Review: “These are fantastic. Load and freeze. Then when you want the aromatic level of fresh herbs for marinating, salads, etc- get out your microplane. You’ll have fresh aromatics all year.” – PrimeLuvR
34. This icing pencil lets you customize anything you might bake. The genius tool is easy to work with – just load it with icing and write normally! Everyone will be amazed by your culinary talent.
Promising Review: “I gave this as a gift to my sister. She loved it! Easy to work with and precise!” – Catherine
35. Make coffee anywhere with this travel espresso maker. Just add hot water and ground coffee, and pump some out whenever you want! It’ll stay warm and you’ll have fresh espresso everywhere you go.
Promising Review: “I love my nanopresso. The barista kit make exactly twice as much as the standard sized cup. Love the lids for the extra cups. Great for travel. Will probably get the large case for this.” – opel02
36. These car back seat hooks keep all of your bags and coats away from the floor. None of your valuables will ever get lost again, and you’ll have tons of room for your feet.
Promising Review: “THIS solved my problem of my purse rolling onto the floor on a hard car stop. Wish I had found them years ago!” – Amazon Customer
37. These wine bottle lights instantly turn all those empty bottles in your kitchen into chic home decor!
Promising Review: “Love these lights! They light up wine and other bottles very well. The batteries last a long time and the set comes with extra batteries too. Great value for the money. I bought them for everyone on my Christmas list!” – jjvncl
38. This banana slicer quickly cuts ur fruit into even slices for use in pies, cereal, or anything else. You can use it on sausages or other vegetables, too!
Promising Review: “Excellent product for gadget lovers. It is very sharp so be careful which shows it is very good quality! It came in a white box with opp bag. For the price, scoop is a real bonus.” – Ergin
39. This silicone toiletry organizer is stain-resistant and easily wipes clean. The slim, lightweight design is durable yet elegant, and it sticks to any surface! It also self-drains, which is an added bonus.
Promising Review: “GREAT product! I was skeptical when I purchased these, but they did not disappoint! They hold my cell phone and other items just fine, no issues. I also put one in my shower to hold my razor and face cleansers. I would highly recommend!” (customer image included) – T. Clay
40. This outlet shelf is perfect for small spaces! Charge anything you want and then store it on top, saving tons of space on your counter. This gadget may look small, but it holds up to 10 pounds.
Promising Review: “Very very sturdy, quality made product. You will need to take the faceplate off your outlet as this installs under it. However, it is easily done and keeps it from being knocked off your wall. Not cheap plastic I expect it will last a very long long time and hold items safely for years to come.” – Trisha
41. This 3-in-1 Apple charging stand charges your iPhone, AirPods, and Apple Watch all at the same time! Say goodbye to cords all over the floor. It looks sleek, and also is great for storing all the products.
Promising Review: “This stand is awesome if you have all three apple products. Well made and easy to store everything. This is the second one I got. I bought the metal one for myself and this cheaper plastic one for my son. Either stand is great.” – psuarmy
42. The Cool Mist Humidifier is lightweight and can be taken with you wherever you go. It is set with two-time spray modes, and the color lights help to create a calm and soothing environment. The one-button control makes this one of the most convenient humidifiers around!
Promising Review: “Don’t let the size fool you! This little desktop works great! It makes absolutely zero noise and lets out great amount of humidified air. The night light also is a big plus not too bright just right for my little ones room” – Jennifer
43. Nothing can make a girl smile quite like an amazing contour kit, and this is one of the best out there. The Aesthetica Contour Kit is cruelty-free, vegan and hypoallergenic, ticking all the boxes, along with 6 blendable and silky creams, to become your absolute favorite.
Promising Review: “Omg I’m in love I used it today and I’m so impressed ? this is my new fav one in love no words in this picture I’ve used the aesthetica contour cream ? (customer image included)” – Johana
44. Lower back pain is something most of us experience from time to time, and it is best to have the Back Stretching Cushion on hand for when you need instant relief. It offers chiropractic treatment at home, with the high-density textured foam providing the best surface to massage and stretch your back.
Promising Review: “I love how easy this thing is to use. If you like to be massaged on your pressure points, get this. It’s nice to use because you can decide how much pressure you want. Something I have been looking for since having severe neck damage from a bad car accident a few years ago.” – Amazon Customer
45. While you can never have too many shoes, you might not have enough space to fit them all. Using the Over The Door Shoe Rack, you can add more closet storage to small spaces, with the resin rack having the ability to hold up to 36 pairs of shoes!
Promising Review: “I just love this shoe rack! I had an initial problem with the hooks but I called their amazing customer service and they sent me the correct ones in no time – only problem is that they were black and I have a white door. (customer image included)” – Carla
46. Makeup users know the woes of trying to keep everything organized, but this no longer has to be a painful experience. The Rotating Makeup Organizer has an adjustable height to fit all your tubes and bottles, and smaller compartments for perfumes, brushes and other accessories. The thick and durable trays are resistant and can hold heavy products, keeping all your necessities in one safe space.
Promising Review: “This was the best product I’d ever purchased. The makeup organizer keeps all my cosmetics organized and accessible. My counter is so much neater and spacious. It looks beautiful too. I’d definitely would recommend this product. It is worth it!!” – Luv2shop
47. Tired of cleaning out clumps of hair from your shower drain? You no longer have to be grossed out by this dreaded chore thanks to the Hair Catcher, which will catch and collect all hair falling towards the drain. A simple wipe will clear the tangled mess and leave your drains clean and empty of blockages!
Promising Review: “This thing really works. I have tried everything else, either it will not stay in the drain or is impossible to clean. I have girls with long hair and for the first time my drain stays unblocked. It is easy to clean, I love it.” – Donna
48. You will not know how much you need the Uni-Tool 5-in-1 Kitchen Utensil until you buy one for yourself. Acting as a slotted spoon, a solid spoon, a turner, a spatula, and a cutting tool, this handy utensil will fill many roles in your kitchen, but take up so little space!
Promising Review: “if you could only afford one this one might be the only one you really need. it can lift and turn things . it can stir and you can get a sample of what you are cooking to see if its seasoned right. you will find yourself reaching for this handy dandy tool. most of the time. I do not know what I did before I bought it. I love it.” – sugarsmom
49. Painting your own nails is tough enough on its own, but having to juggle a bottle of nail polish has been made effortless with the Wearable Nail Polish Bottle Holder, which fits over your finger to securely hold the nail polish bottle for easy, mess-free access!
Promising Review: “Wife uses it every time she does her nails now. She added it to her nails bag. A neat little gift that is always useful and really holds the nail polish bottle thing securely while you paint. Footballs never been quieter! ;)” – Chris
50. Cast iron pots deserve to be cherished, and now you can keep the flavor of the pot, without causing any damage to the coating, using the Cast Iron Cleaner. The chainmail design protects the flavors and coating of the cast iron and does not require scrubbing which could cause serious scratches.
Promising Review: “This was a gift for my husband who is a cast iron cook. This was a fun and very practical gift for him. He enjoys using it! And it’s not the gross eye sore his bamboo scrubber thing is!” – Kimberly
51. Blackheads can be painfully stubborn, but using the Tonymoly Blackhead Scrubber you can gently exfoliate them with the help of marine plant extracts, black mud, and charcoal. To make it even more appealing – the scrubber comes in an adorable container!
Promising Review: “Love all of Tony Moly products. Super cute look to the product as well as amazing product. Makes skin feel amazing!” – Jessica
52. The 60 piece set of Pearl and Gold Eye Patches help to remove dark bags under the eyes by hydrating and nourishing the skin. The pearly gold color adds a touch of luxury to the eye patches, which will soothe and calm the delicate area of skin.
Promising Review: “I really love this product! This is my second box and it worth each cent. I love to use it in the morning while I’m having breakfast. It smooths your skin under eyes and decrease appearance of wrinkles.” – Natalya
53. Steamed food is healthier than fried food, and now you are easily able to steam your food at home with the Marner Pink Piggy Steamer Lid, even without a steaming pot. The cute pig nose design effectively lets your food steam, while the silicone material is safe to use over high heat.
Promising Review: “Use it every day. So much better than plastic wrap or paper towels Warms up single servings/left overs in a flash. Just rinse and use again. Dish washer safe. Will order moma pig for larger servings. The best.” – Amazon Customer
54. Who wouldn’t want a portable mini-fridge to keep their beverages cool on the go? The Portable Mini Fridge has a perfect take-along design that can be traveled with anywhere to keep all types of contents cool. Energy-efficient and ultra-quiet, it will fit into your daily life in a breeze!
Promising Review: “Works well for cool or warm drinks, uses very little power, actually works will keep cans of coke nice and cold, even warm cans will come out cold. My son loves his” – Apollo
55. If you just can’t wait to print out that cute photo you just took, the Portable Mobile Photo Printer is there to help. The printer connects to your smartphone and prints clear photos straight from your phone! The Zink Zero Ink printing technology means there is no need for toners, ink or cartridges, with the sticky peel-back paper photos being vibrant, colorful and bold.
Promising Review: “This was a Christmas present for my niece and she loves it!!! Easy to use, no major set up required or changing of ink cartridges. I bought her some fun border stickers to go with it as well as a little case….turned out to be the perfect present!” – M
56. Don’t be caught with a flat battery, and you won’t ever be with the 4-Port Sabrent Charging Hub, which has four USB 2.0 ports for compatible devices, to be charged on the go, maximizing both your space and time.
Promising Review: “This is the third one I have ordered. now all of the PCs in my office have them. It is cheap, it works great, it has features, it came unbelievably quickly. The whole process was great.” – Marc
57. When you’re too lazy to whip out the vacuum and trek across your house, you can rest easy knowing that this iRobot Roomba 675 Wi-Fi Connected Robot Vacuum will do the job for you. This impressive piece of technology can even be linked to your phone or Google Home!
Promising Review: “Yes, my new Roomba 675 is my new best friend… She runs through my home daily and makes me a happy lady. My carpet is the type that shows when you walk on it, and Ruby, my Roomba fluffs it up. Excellent job on carpet and hardwood!!! Love it… Never thought it would do the great job that it does!” – Diamond
58. Your kids will absolutely love this comfy Huggle Pets Sweatshirt and Stuffed Animal. The hoodie is great for traveling and long trips, and the teddy backpack comes in different pets – a green dinosaur, a rainbow unicorn, a blue puppy and a pink kitty. The furry fabric is completely machine washable, perfect for all those spills and messes that are bound to happen with kids.
Promising Review: “My 6 year old saved up her money because she wanted to be the one to buy this! She is in love and hasn’t taken it off since it has arrived. So super soft too” – Amazon Customer
The Incredible Rollercoaster Life Of Sam Elliott
Has there been a star with a more iconic baritone voice? By all accounts, Sam Elliott is the man. With his rugged style, the man has been working in the movie industry for half a century! Here are some incredible details you probably don’t know about the mustache-wearing legend.
Not Following Father’s Wishes
The son of a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service worker, Sam Elliott had to heavily convince his dad to help him fulfill his dream to become an actor. However, it had a big impact on their relationship.
A Tragic Ending
At just 18 years of age, Sam Elliott was informed that his dad had died as a result of a heart attack. Despite their complicated relationship, Sam was naturally distraught by the loss. He wanted to prove something to his dad. “He died thinking, ‘Man, this kid is going to go down the wrong path,'” he said. “And I think on some level that was either hard on me or made me more focused in my resolve to have a career.”
Off To A Good Start
There is no denying that a highly focused dose of praise can go along way, especially in the acting industry. When Sam was still young and coming up in the game, a newspaper published a review about his performance in the local production of Guys and Dolls. They gave him the ultimate praise, claiming that Elliot had the acting chops to make it in the big time. Delighted by the praise, the actor moved to Hollywood to pursue his dreams.
Working For A Living
When it comes to actors seeking to come up in Hollywood, getting a job as a waiter is synonymous with the lifestyle. You walk into a cafe in this part of the world, chances are you’re being served by someone who wants to be a star. However, Sam Elliot was a bit different. Instead of working as a waiter, he spent his early days working in part-time construction. With plenty of opportunities in this industry, Sam was sorted in between auditions.
It is no secret that Sam Elliot has had a number of roles as characters in military situations. However, what some don’t realize is that the actor’s first hint of experience in the military was actually for real. At one point, Elliot was part of the California Army National Guard during his time in the Golden State. Not only did it stand him in good stead for this type of role, but Elliot also commented on how those years enhanced his discipline and leadership skills.
Getting His Start
Every actor has to start somewhere to get their name out there. For Sam Elliot, it was a pretty modest role that kicked things off. His first on-screen role came in an episode on the hit TV series The Felony Squad. This wasn’t all though. Elliot also appeared on another two episodes of the show the following year. After future casting directors noticed this little credit on his resume, they were ready to take a chance with him.
Big Screen Debut
Although Sam Elliot’s debut on the big screen was also fairly modest, it was in an extremely significant movie. He may have been credited as Card Player #2, but there is no denying the cultural significance that Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid has had on the world of movies. The most ironic part about his on-screen debut though was that his future wife was the star of the movie – Katharine Ross. Amazingly, they didn’t even meet during the movie’s production.
Small Roles Continue
It would take a while before Sam Elliott became a household name. Nevertheless, he maintained a quiet reputation as a well-respected B-list actor, especially during the late 60s/early 70s. With minor roles in shows such as Lancer, Land of the Giants, The F.B.I., and Bracken’s World, Elliott was certainly a recognizable face. He was also noticed for his role as Richie Robinson in the movie The Games.
Blossoming TV Career
With time, Sam Elliott’s profile got higher and higher with every movie and TV role. After landing recurring roles in hit shows such as Mission: Impossible and Once an Eagle, the actor was becoming a better-recognized face with every role. In 1974, his biggest role yet had arrived, landing the title role of Evel Knievel in the show of the same name.
As previously mentioned, Sam and Katharine Ross would eventually tie the knot. However, they never met while being on the same set of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. However, the future couple had a very different experience a few years later. When Elliott had his first starring role in the film The Legacy, this was the first time that he met Katharine. It wouldn’t take long before the couple hit it off.
It might be hard to believe, but Sam Elliott is apparently an extremely shy person. It is reported that the actor just couldn’t build up the courage to approach Katharine Ross on the set of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. It was only later on in life when he was finally confident enough to speak with her. “I didn’t dare try to talk to her then,” he said. “She was the leading lady. I was a shadow on the wall, a glorified extra in a bar scene.”
Showing Off His Assets
One movie that provided a lot of firsts in the career of Sam Elliott was The Legacy. For a start, it was the first time he had been the leading character in a movie. That’s not all though. It was also the first time he met a real-life romantic interest on set. Also, it was the first time he had ever shown his backside on camera! It turns out that the scene was a hit with the critics and the fans.
Katharine Fell For Him
The question on everyone’s lips was the following: what did Katharine Ross see in Elliott? She was asked the question in many interviews, with some speculating that it was his straight-forward nature, or maybe his voice. It could’ve even been his mustache. “Probably all that and more,” she said. “We were working together and one thing led to another.”
It turns out that Sam and Katharine’s relationship wasn’t so clear cut after all. In fact, it was considered to be quite controversial seeing that the actress was still married to Gaetano Lisi at the time. Amazingly, it was her fourth marriage. However, it came to an end in 1979 and before she knew it, Katharine was planning he future with Sam.
Not Interested In Being A Sex Symbol
With time, Sam Elliott was becoming a real hit with the ladies, especially after his role in The Legacy, as well as his highly publicized relationship with Katharine Ross. So much so that in a 1979 issue of Playgirl, the couple were referred to as “Hollywood’s Sexiest Couple.” However, Elliott was adamant that he didn’t want to develop this sort of reputation. “There’s a great stigma that goes with that tag,” he said. “I want to be Sam Elliott.”
Unable To Film
One movie that Sam Elliott was supposed to be in but got replaced last minute was The Ambush Murders. He was supposed to play the role of lawyer Paul Marshall, a lawyer who is defending a black political activist who is wrongfully charged with the murders of two white cops. However, became Elliott became pretty ill while filming the flick, it was ultimately James Brolin who took the role instead.
Tying The Knot
After years of happily dating and with all the drama behind them, Sam and Katharine finally tied the knot in 1984. Amazingly, it was the fifth time that Ross had tied the knot with someone. However, for Elliott, it was his first ever marriage. It wouldn’t take long before the couple started to build a family and brought a child into the world. Their daughter Cleo Rose Elliot was born and it looked like things were going very well.
Almost Passed On Mask
There is no denying that one of the biggest roles of Elliott’s career is in the movie Mask. His role was a biker who was in a relationship with a character played by none other than Cher. Amazingly though, the actor almost didn’t take the role. His agent got in touch with him while he was on his honeymoon in Hawaii and told him that he wouldn’t be able to do a screen test for the part.
Wifey Knows Best
Despite things looking bad for Elliott, Katharine Ross decided to take matters into her own hands. She called the agent and insisted that her husband would be coming back. Not only was the movie huge, but it also made Elliott a household name. “His portrayal of the compassionate biker Gar has received nearly as much critical attention as the performances by the film’s stars, Eric Stoltz and Cher,” A reporter from The Los Angeles Times wrote.
A Cowboy’s Life
One thing was for sure, producers loved using Sam Elliott in Western movies. With roles in classics such as The Quick and the Dead, Tombstone, and You Know My Name, Elliott was at one point the go-to man for Westerns. The actor was eventually inducted into the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum.
Where Sam Got His Work Ethic
One thing that separates Sam Elliott from many of his Hollywood contemporaries is his no-nonsense tough guy work ethic. It turns out that the actor credits his dad, of all people, for adopting such a blue-collar style grit. Sam recalls how his dad and friends “were all men’s men and outdoorsmen.” This is what inspired him the most.
The Evolution Of Sam’s Voice
If there is one thing that fans recognize Elliott for the most, it’s his voice. As far as Ashton Kutcher is concerned, who worked alongside Elliot in The Ranch, he could virtually relate “everything.” However, the actor didn’t always have such an iconic voice. Some of his earlier roles demonstrate that Elliott had a higher voice. He said that it “kept going down the older I got.”
Sam’s Secret To Longevity
One important detail about Elliott is his tendency to be picky about his movie roles. “I wanted to be an actor since I was nine years old and I figured that was only one way to ever have any longevity, and that’s to be careful about what kind of work you do,” he said. Sam is a firm believer that fans will get sick of certain performers if they see them on everything.
Almost Didn’t Play Wade Garrett
One absolute cult classic that Sam Elliott will be remembered for is the Patrick Swayze-led movie Road House. However, the actor was originally considered to be the big bad of the movie, villain Brad Wesley. However, Elliott felt like he was a better fit for the role of Wade Garrett, and the rest was history.
The Big Lebowski
It seems like Sam Elliott has become a huge hit with younger generations, especially after his role in the cult classic The Big Lebowski. In fact, it turns out that long before he was cast in the minor role, it actually said in the script that “the voice-over sounds not unline Sam Elliott.” It also states that the characters look “like a drugstore cowboy, looking not unlike Sam Elliott.”
On To Another Big Role
You know what they say – one thing leads to another. This is exactly what happened after Elliott’s role in The Big Lebowski. Filmmaker Rod Lurie loved the dynamic between the actor and Jeff Bridges. Therefore he wrote the movie The Contender with the intention of having the two actors join forces once again. Both obliged, and Elliott was thrilled to star in a movie that was a little different from his previous roles.
Serious Family Drama
Just because someone experiences career success doesn’t mean that all is well in their personal life. This is certainly the case with Sam, as back in 2011, his wife Katharine was forced to get a restraining order against their daughter Cleo. According to court documents, Cleo stabbed Katherine with scissors and threatened to kill her. The court said that Cleo had to stay at least 100 yards away from her mother at all times, lest she be arrested and taken to jail.
Since the restraining order was a temporary emergency one – not a permanent one – when neither Katharine nor Cleo showed up to court, it was automatically canceled. Ever since that tough time, Sam, Katharine, and Cleo have put in the hard work to make sure their family unit is happy and healthy. Cleo lives in Malibu, California and works in the music industry.
The Mustache Man
In a sea of character actors, there’s one distinct thing about Sam Elliott that majorly sets him apart from his competition. Critics and audiences all agree that yes, Sam’s mustache is as much of a star as he is. Sam’s mustache is so widely admired, that in 2015, he had the honor of being inducted into none other than the International Mustache Hall Of Fame.
Every artist has a reason for picking his projects, and in an interview, Sam explained why he was drawn towards doing Western movies. “My family had a relative who fought at the Alamo,” he explained. ‘I’ve got history in Texas.” The fact that he’s such a man’s man with a bushy mustache and rugged face to match definitely didn’t hurt matters!
He Can Do It All
Just because Sam is best known for his acting career, he still has a few tricks up his sleeve. A jack of all trades, he’s had mild success in producing and writing, and more surprisingly, he’s got some vocal talent as well. He sang a song from the soundtrack of Barnyard (2006) and produced the Netflix series The Ranch.
Love That Lasts
When Sam and Katharine Ross first started their love affair, many believed it wouldn’t last – and for good reason. Before marrying Sam, Katharine had been married and divorced a whopping four times. However, now the couple is having the last laugh, having been married for 33 years. “We have a common sensibility, but we also work at being together,” Sam revealed in an interview. Even marriage counselors agree with Sam that communication is key. Sam Elliott admits, “She is the love of my life”.
He’s Got It All
Sam is pretty upfront about how lucky he is. He shared in an interview that, “The two things that I wanted in my life were to have a movie career and to be married, to have a family,” Sam told a journalist. “And it’s an embarrassment of riches that I’ve got both.” It’s good to see that fame hasn’t gone to his head and he still is humble enough to appreciate what he’s got.
What’s He Worth?
After such a long and distinguished career, in so many popular films, of course, we are curious exactly how much money Sam’s raked in over the years. While he’s private about the exact figure, it’s been reported that he’s worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $16 million! Considering the fact that he’s also made some wise real estate investment decisions, we see how he managed to make himself a multi-millionaire.
Sam’s Secret Trick
When Sam started his career in Hollywood, Tinseltown was a totally different place. The studio contract system ruled and was the ultimate make-or-break for actors. Basically, Sam charmed the ladies at the Fox Motion Picture Studios offices and got first dibs on the new scripts rolling in. If he found a script he liked, he’d cut out the middleman and get in touch directly with the casting directors.
Notable Voice Role
Everyone knows that Sam Elliott has a distinctive voice, but you may not have known just how pervasive his recognizable voice really is. Believe it or not, he’s actually the voice of fire safety bear Smokey Bear, having done the part since 2008. His naturally gruff voice is the absolute perfect fit for Smokey.
Always A Perfectionist
Someone who’s been as successful as Sam typically rests on their laurels, but Sam surprisingly is his own harshest critic. He has stated in an interview that he’s sad he didn’t have much formal training as an actor in his early working days, thinking out loud that he “might have been a more interesting actor| had he been taught more. He even revealed that sometimes he watches his old movies and wishes he could go back and re-do them!
Sam has something that’s rare for an actor these days – artistic integrity, meaning that he doesn’t just do any old project that comes his way. He values quality over a paycheck. When asked about the financial risks he takes by passing up projects that don’t excite him and offering his criticisms to directors and screenwriters, he simply said: “I’d rather be a pain in the ass and make better art.”
Sam’s Love For Westerns
Sam’s Alamo family heritage and man’s man appearance definitely helped him get cast in Western movies. But there’s more to it than looking the part. He revealed in an interview that he did Western movies because he appreciates their deeper messages. He explained, “I think it has something to do with integrity and a man’s word and honor and all that kind of stuff––values, morality, all that kind of stuff that everybody looks kind of down their nose at.”
The Reason He Did It
Everyone cares about their parents’ approval, and even tough talking Sam Elliott was hurt by his father’s initial rejection of his acting career. He explained how devastated he felt that his father thought pursuing an acting career was a mistake on Sam’s part. “That’s the worst part of it,” Sam revealed in an interview. “When you don’t think your dad’s proud of you.” Sam explained that his father was proud of him for his fishing and hunting pursuits.
What’s Sam Up To?
Sam’s been laying low lately, so you might be wondering what he’s been up to in the last few years. Let’s break it down: he starred in the Netflix series The Ranch, which he also produced. He’s gone behind the camera for the upcoming A Star is Born, featuring Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga. He also appeared with his real-life wife Katharine Ross in 2017’s The Hero.
It’s a question that’s commonly asked of actors with long-lasting careers, and one journalist naturally asked Sam what his favorite role of his career so far has been. Sam said The Hero, not because of the role but because of the cast and crew. “I think what I remember most about films are the people rather than the films themselves,” Elliott said in an interview, then subsequently stated that the film was a “labor of love.”
Fits Just Right
When an actor seems totally at ease in a part, often times we say the part was made for them. However, in The Hero, the lead role of Lee Hayden was, in fact, written specifically for Sam Elliott! Sam said in an interview that he was “totally flattered” that the movie’s screenwriter and director Brett Haley engineered a project specifically to showcase his talent.
His Biggest Influences
The old saying goes “No man is an island”, meaning that one cannot be successful without cooperation and assistance from others, and Sam Elliott is no exception to the rule. “To be honest with you I think my parents made the biggest difference in my life,” Sam said. “He [Sam’s father] was a man’s man, and that rubbed off on me. My mom has always been completely supportive of my work.”
Doesn’t Feel Typecast
It would be easy to assume that Sam feels typecast in the role of Western tough-talking cowboy, but instead, Sam has embraced the genre of movies that have made him famous. He himself is a major fan of Westerns, explaining in an interview that, “I think there’s a real truth to Westerns and a real simplicity to them that appeals to people.”
It’s Not All About The Money
Sam has said many times in interviews he only takes on roles if he truly connects with the project. Of course, when Sam was a young starving artist, it was a different story and he took on many unseemly projects for a steady paycheck and exposure. One of Sam’s biggest motivations for doing so many commercial voice-overs was because of the financial stability he gained from them, enabling him to pick and choose only the film roles he was passionate about.
His Thoughts On Katharine’s Career
Sam and Katherine Ross have sustained their marriage for a whopping three decades – 33 years, which is definitely a miracle in Hollywood (where a marriage over a year-long is considered almost record-breaking). But Sam explained in an interview that the secret to their happiness is that Katharine was more focused on their family life than her career. He said she’s not been a “fame-chaser.”
Beef’s For Dinner
Not only movie audiences appreciate Sam’s distinctive voice – advertising executives quickly took note of his powerful soundbox. A few years ago, he became the voice behind the uber-popular beef commercials. However, the demands of the beef barons started wearing on him, and Sam revealed that he “started to bristle” at the work after too much drama from company executives.
Sam’s Seen Changes
Sam’s Hollywood career has spanned over five decades, and of course, throughout a half-century in the entertainment industry, he’s seen some major upheavals and advances. What’s the biggest difference between now and the beginning of his career? “Changes that have been made in the technological world have revolutionized the movie business on almost every level,” Sam said in an interview. “There are some constants that are never going to change.”
Focusing On Each Day
Sam is a true maverick, who cares solely about his own artistic integrity and being true to his own vision. Instead of looking wistfully back at the past, or dreaming of the future, he chooses to focus his energy only on his current project.”It’s hard work, but it’s a creative, artistic process,” Sam said in an interview. “And if you can’t enjoy that, then you’re going about it wrong.”
Since Sam and Tom Selleck are real-life bosom buddies, everyone compares their mustaches. One journalist asked Sam who has the better mustache, and Sam returned with an evasive answer. Sam said, “I think it all depends on where we are at the time, you know? Right now I’ve got more of a mustache than Tom does, but I know he can grow one. “I don’t think he’s ever grown his out the way I’ve grown mine out over the years.”
Another Project In The Works
A Star Is Born, featuring Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, is an upcoming project of Sam’s where he switched up his typical role. Instead of acting, aside from a brief cameo in the film, he actually worked behind the camera as the director. In an interview, he gushed about Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper’s thespian skills and said making the movie was “an amazing experience.”